OTA-Schule des Deutschen Herzzentrums Berlin
Tel +49 30 4593-7252
Fax +49 30 4593-7139
Access for participants registered for training courses and studies at the DHZB
A Career Choice with Perspective
During their training as surgical assistants the students learn to care for patients professionally and sensitively during surgery. The tasks of the surgical assistant included the planning, preparation, assistance with and clearing up after diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. For example, surgical assistants prepare the operation room, support the surgical team, take care of the surgical instrumentation and operate and overhaul medical devices. It is our aim to encourage students’ professional and social competence, their initiative and responsibility, their ability to work in a team and to think and act in a well-considered manner. The training course is based on the recommendations of the German Hospital Society and is paid. There ia no attendance fee.
Content of the Training
During the three-year course the students acquire all the knowledge they need to be able to work in the operation room, the units for endoscopy or sterilization and the outpatient departments. The theoretical and practical instruction is organized into blocks and lasts at least 4,600 hours. Trained teachers and practical instructors teach the surgical assistants during this time.
The theoretical training is divided into four areas:
1. Basic tasks of the surgical assistant (SA): hygienic practices; professional care and supervision of patients; use of medical/technical devices; stand-in deployment; procedures in crises and catastrophes.
2. Specialized tasks of the SA: instrumentation for the different surgical disciplines; assistance in the units for outpatients, emergency admission and endoscopy; preparation of medical products in the sterilization unit; support of the anesthetist.
3. Training and work situations: communication; advisory and instructor role; professional identity; cooperation in groups and teams; learning strategies.
4. Legal and institutional parameters: professional observance of legal parameters, quality criteria and economic and ecological principles; professional activity in its social context.
After successfully completing their training our alumni have good chances of employment and good possibilities for further professional development. Currently our Surgical Training Center offers the following courses:
- Training course / university course in cardiac perfusion
- University course in physician assistance
- Qualification as practice instructor (under development)
Preconditions for Applicants
- good intermediate school-leaving certificate or comparable or higher-level schooling
- good physical and mental health
- minimum age at start of training: 18 years
- experience of a 3-4 week observership in the operating unit
- German language certificate level B2
Documents Required for the Application
Your application must include the following:
- letter of application
- curriculum vitae with passport-style photograph
- copy of last school certificate
- copy of school-leaving certificate
- evidence/evaluation of surgical observership
- evidence of other related activities and observerships
- evidence of training and qualifications gained so far (if applicable)d
- doctor’s certificate endorsing applicant’s suitablility for the profession
- German language certificate level B2 (applicants with other mother tongue)
Please send your application by post to:
Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin
Augustenburger Platz 1
or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have queries you are welcome to phone us on Tel ++49 30 4593-7252.
Dates: Start of Training Course and Application Dates
The next training course will begin on 1 September 2017. Applications are accepted from 1 November 2016 to 30 April 2017.