Dipl.-Med. Päd. Frank Merkle
Academy for Cardiovascular Perfusion
Steinbeis Transfer Institute for Cardiac Perfusion
Tel +49 30 4593-7125
Fax +49 30 4593-7139
Training place at the Academy for Cardiovascular Perfusion of the Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin
Access for participants registered for training and studies at the DHZB
Interdisciplinary and Varied Course
The training course is aimed at nurses, surgical assistants and people in comparable jobs who would like to qualify as cardiovascular perfusionists. The perfusionist has an interdisciplinary role in the surgical treatment of cardiovascular patients.
In cooperation with the Steinbeis University Berlin we also offer a university course in cardiovascular perfusion (Bachelor of Science).
The Work of the Cardiovascular Perfusionist
The cardiovascular perfusionist’s main tasks include:
- extracorporeal circulation using the heart-lung machine in adults, children and newborns; autonomous work in a team with heart surgeon and anesthetist
- application of mechanical circulatory support systems (assist devices)
- instrumental support during minimally invasive heart surgery ("operation robot")
- intraoperative monitoring of patients’ vital signs
- performance of blood processing procedures
- intraoperative blood gas and blood chemistry analysis
- participation in heart rhythm treatment (pacemakers)
- tasks to be performed during organ transplantation
The training to become a cardiovascular perfusionist at our Academy lasts four semesters. Theoretical instruction is full-time and is given five days per week. The course is divided into two-week theory blocks and longer practical blocks. Each year of the course has seven theory blocks. The practical training takes place in hospitals recognized by the Berlin Health Authority.
The training course begins on April 1 each year.
- school-leaving certificate (“Realschule” or comparable schooling)
- successfully completed training as a nurse, pediatric nurse, laboratory assistant, radiology assistant or medical technician or comparable medical or technical training
- work experience of at least 2 years
- good health
The cost of the training is € 500 per month. Students can apply for financial support (“Bafög” and “Meisterbafög”) or a study loan.